January 19, 2009

Parents are a blessing

I am so unbelievably blessed. Years ago, when I was probably 12 or 13, my mom and I were fighting. My dad spoke over my life with those rare words that stick with you for a lifetime--"Don't alienate her, because then you won't have her when you need her most later on." He was so right. My mom and I became best friends, and every day I grow more grateful for her consistency, her friendship, and her wisdom and prayers.

We talk about anything and everything. The Spirit often guides our conversations--time and again, I've had a topic that I wasn't sure how to broach with her. I've learned to keep my mouth shut, and invariably, He opens a door in the conversation so wide I can't miss it.

God is so good!

I've always been a papa's girl. However, as I've grown older, I've wished our relationship could be more--grown up. It seems I often revert to a 6 year old when I'm with him. Recently, amazing changes have been taking place in our relationship! I know it's only the work of the Holy Spirit. Papa has started to voluntarily tell me he loves me! He's always responded in kind when I told him, but rarely has he initiated it. Also, he recently told me that he would pray for me in a very specific manner instead of his general blanket statements about prayer. Also, he's one of the few people who's bothered to ask me very specific questions about my major when he didn't understand things. He makes me think about things from an outsider's perspective which has been very useful when making changes to my future plans.

All in all, I'm so blessed to have two parents who love the Lord and who raised me accordingly. Honestly, I think they are one of the reasons I'm sort of afraid to be a mother--They did such a good job! I don't think I can match up! haha. Thankfully, God has been even changing that thought in my heart. Someday.... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment